Build It and They Will Come!
Build it and they will come! If it were only that easy. Resolutions develops e-learning courses for a variety of clients in a number of different industries, one major challenge for all of our clients, regardless of industry, is user compliance. Our focus as a company is building e-learning content that achieves a business result. That can be hard if the intended audience is nowhere to be found and the company has spent thousands of dollars to develop the course. We have come up with a few keys you should keep in mind for any e-learning initiative to help drive users and ultimately ROI.
1. Identify your Objective – If you want to develop training that gets results, know up front what results you want to achieve. Be specific, how does a particular employee group learning this material affect the bottom line? How will it affect your customers?
2. Focus – Once you have identified your objective focus on it! Don’t take the, “While we have them here” approach of throwing in random topics you would like them to pick up while they are here. Keeping your online training focused will help keep users attention.
3. Tactical – You have set your objectives and are focusing on them, know turn your attention to the user. What is in it for them? Present useful information that will help the user be better at their job or possibly advance their career.
4. Short – Your employees are busy, and honestly how much time do you want them away from their actual work? If you are laser focused on your business objective you should be able to deliver effective tactical training in 15 minutes or less. Coffee break anyone?
5. Engaging – User engagement can be defined a number of different ways, but in its simplest form make the learning active. It is proven that passive learning is far less effective than active. Make use of media where appropriate, discovery learning is always a winner and decision based learning paths will seal the deal.
These are a few short tips we try to pass along to our clients. Every situation is different, each company and industry segment has a different level of acceptance when it comes to online learning. The best clients incorporate it into their culture and make it a part of everything they do. Not everything goes as planned, but if your build your online training content with these the 5 simple tips in mind, then they surely will come!
What rules do you follow in your company training? What has been the result?